Pages

Tuesday 6 August 2019

Bishop Joseph Grimes

       
        Bishop Joseph Grimes
        Bishop of Christchurch May 1887 - March 1915

John Joseph Grimes was the first Roman Catholic Bishop of Christchurch, New Zealand. He was born in London, United Kingdom on the 11th of  February 1842 and was ordained as a priest on 22 August 1869 (aged 27). He was appointed on 13 May 1887 (aged 45).  On 26 July 1887, He was Ordained as Bishop Joseph Grimes. His successor was Matthew Brodie. He was stricken down with yellow fever, from which he marvellously recovered. After that he was called by his superiors to take charge of the newly formed mission of Paignton, South Devon, England, where he endeared himself to all. He died in Christchurch on 15 March 1915 (aged 73). He was buried under the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament.

By Kata and Rosie :))))


No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.